Why is there never a perfect piece of software.
Wanderlust almost all of what I want, but it has several annoying bugs/misfeatures:
- It’s single threaded, so if it get’s stuck during an imap sync, the whole damn thing get’s stuck, the whole emacs session is stuck
- It doesn’t have any way to tell you that there’s a hidden unread message under a collapsed thread
- It get’s coloring wrong when you’re doing an inline reply.. it seems to get the first block of your text right, but then every other
But then, mew isn’t perfect either:
- It’s very conservative about threading, so that it misses some threads sometimes
- You can’t look at imap folders with spaces in the names.. thankfully they’re all of the for “%Public Folders/…” so I don’t care too much
- Why can’t I highlight unread messages? Isn’t that like a super-basic feature?
And neither can do automatic mail checking too well. Is that so hard to do?
Doh! I know, I know… RTFM. Turns out mew has biff-like functionality and it actually works better than wl’s. The appropriate code being:
(setq mew-use-biff t) (setq mew-biff-interval 3)
The second bit is to set the check interval (in minutes).
I wish there was a hook into it so that I can make it more obvious (maybe hook it up to growl in the future).