Traded in my 15 inch macbook pro for a thinkpad x201.
Bunch of reasons this time:
- mbp was slowing down frequently, requiring reboot. something to do with regularly running cityville, or plugging and unplugging from a 30 inch display. WindowServer would start taking major cpu time when there’s no activity, and entire desktop would feel like it was going at 5fps.
- flash seems generally slow on osx. lots of stuff uses flash.
- pc at home, and swapping keyboard shortcuts was getting confusing
- wanted better 3rd party free apps. for ex. paint.net has no equivalent on the mac side.
- adium is kinda janky.
- colloquy is also kinda janky.
- something about the osx scheduler still doesn’t feel right. for example latency in ssh over vpn is much better on windows (over the same connection at home).
- i’ll miss the ssh/keychain integration, but cygwin + mintty + ssh-pageant + pageant should do the trick.
- 8hr battery life ftw.
- outlook 2011 for mac < outlook 2010 for win. depressing that this still matters, but whatevs.
- win-left, win-right, alt-tab. window mgmt on osx is still janky.
- being in touch more w/ the average fb user.